Sunday, November 7, 2010

U.S. Marines Workout Plan

Great find in the book bin at the grocery store yesterday! It's a short, sweet distillation of the U.S. Marine physical conditioning process.

Author Martin Cohen writes clearly and succinctly. No unnecessary words. Beautiful. And he begins by describing the many benefits of the workout plan—this left me feeling excited and motivated enough to begin the program immediately

The book provides a system for figuring out how fit you are in each of four areas--so that you know whether you'll initially be doing push-offs against the wall, full-fledged pushups on the floor, or something in between. Likewise with lower-body exercise, chin-ups, and cardiorespiratory exercise.

Once you know how fit you are in each of those areas, you begin actually working out. This basically involves doing as many repetitions of each exercise as possible, until you're overloaded.

This program is a nice match for me also because I don't own any running shorts, shoes, or fancy equipment like that. The book requires only some surfaces at various heights--I ended up needing a sofa for my triceps, for example.

Now all I need to do is talk to my downstairs neighbors about a time of day when I can run in place in my living room without driving them nuts.

No comments: