Monday, November 8, 2010

Book Book Book Book Book Book Book

I'm writing a book. For now I'd like to keep the topic quiet, because the idea's still developing in its egg.

When I was younger, I always tried to write novels, usually without much direction. And though the results were anywhere from unintentionally hilarious to genuinely good, most remained incomplete. The idea of a book deal used to tantalize me, but that impetus alone was never enough to see me through the entire arc of a story.

It began with one day of inattention. That one day of slacking would extend into the next, and the next, until the days accumulated like snowfall, the story grew increasingly obscured and distant in my mind, and the project was finally frozen and buried.

This time is different.

I'm publishing the book myself--the moment it's finished, I can present it to the world. This is also the first time I've ever attempted a complete work of nonfiction.

Brain Candy

The topical research is shaking open these amazing clustered webs of ideas in my mind. The project involves taking in a vast, vast amount of information, making complex distinctions and connections between all of it, and then turning all that data into simple imperatives that I or anyone else can use to create amazing art.

The process: devour information, scribble outline on how to put that info to work, swallow more info, reflect on info, combine with all previous info, scribble outline on the synergy of the ideas, repeat from the beginning. After 2-4 hours this process alters the very timbre of my consciousness, and because every work session brings new insights and connections I’ve been struggling to make for my entire life, it all leaves me feeling somewhat dizzy and elated. I'm answering, confronting, and overcoming the problems that prevented me from ever finishing a novel.

In sum: I'm creating a system. The system itself is fun to work on. When it's built and fully functional, it'll serve as a lever that multiplies my strength and efforts, making me a far, far more productive, interesting, and efficient artist... and if  I succeed, it'll do the same for all its readers.

No comments: