Friday, November 21, 2008

This Land is Your Land

At the local discount store I found a lovely little collection of Woody Guthrie songs for $2.99! I've already learned a few, with "This Land is Your Land" being one. I love the timbres of antiquated microphones and recorders and players; if I had the money and the time I'm sure I'd be busy collecting old 78rpm records.

While we're on the subject of music: I'm enthusiastically strumming a new copper-body resonator guitar. If you've never heard of such a thing, just try to envision something halfway between a guitar and a banjo: not too much twang, but more percussive than your standard acoustic guitar. I chose the copper body because it seems to contribute to a uniquely haunting sound.

I didn't earn the guitar; it was given to me by my wonderfully supportive parents. Thanks, mom and dad. I've been making great use of it already. Wrote a song on it, and it's not even a week old!

More soon. Goodnight.

No comments: