Friday, November 7, 2008

An Early Awakening & Farewell

As I finally packed myself into bed at 2:00am last night, I feared that I wouldn't be able to rise by 9:30am.

I woke up promptly at 7:30, though, thanks to a fortissimo performance of "Composition for Garbage Truck and Soprano Dog." Finally it's 9:00. The truck has roamed on. The dog is silent. And I'm grateful to be awake, because I've struggled vainly for months to sleep earlier at night and wake earlier in the morning. Despite all efforts, I don't often see daylight until ten or later.

As Winter approaches, some friends are taking off across-country; others will soon return home for the holidays. It has become an annual rhythm, like snowfall or turning leaves; some perch while others fly.

Some of you, like forces of nature, embody the summertime. That season is shrinking in the rearview mirror, but I can't wait to see you all again.

Safe journeys!
-Nicholas

P.S. For a lovely farewell song, sing yourself a rousing chorus of "Bound for South Australia."

No comments: