Friday, December 19, 2008

The Garden of Love

Just yesterday I wrapped up a draft recording of a William Blake poem I've set to music, called "The Garden of Love."

Went to the Garden of Love,
And saw what I never have seen.
A chapel stood there in the midst
Where I used to play on the green...

The poem, dated 1794, is about the natural beauty of sex and love. Blake presents the church as a blight on these enjoyments, as noted in the last two lines:

...Priests in black gowns were walking their rounds
And binding with briars my joys and desires.

Please note that the above lines and stanza may not be absolutely true to the original poem! I'm recording them from memory here.

Anyway, much work remains to be done. The effect of my derivative song isn't quite as chilling as I'd like it to be. Maybe if I transposed it down a few steps...? 

No comments: