Saturday, July 4, 2009

Just Another Work Day.

July 4th, 2009. 1733hrs. --- Got up early this morning to prepare a catering order, then worked a crazy lunch shift all by my lonesome at the cafe. I was the entire operation; clerk, server, cook, everything. It was wild. Five hours of sleep wasn't enough, but the caffeine supply is looking good.

My first CD of original songs and compositions is almost done. Some of you will receive copies by mail or by hand very soon. I'm looking forward to getting feedback. It'll also feel good to prove that I haven't been slacking on all those nights that I've turned down social outings: "Here ya go, everyone. I wasn't exactly partying without you." My beard is entirely a product of pulling double shifts and trying to wrap this CD up. After that I've just got four more recording projects to finish. Jesus Christ.

A novelist I admire very much, Cheryl Drake-Harris, has offered to mentor me on the craft. She has recently landed back in the states after a lengthy stay in Mexico, during which I missed her very much. You can check out her book Lily's Ghost, published by Random House, by picking it up in a major bookstore or visiting Amazon.

The "novel" I was working on is in need of serious work and will most likely be distilled into short-story length. The good news is that I'm free to write whatever I want after that.

Recently wrote to Henry Rollins, received a thoughtful and prompt response. Surprised, impressed, and even a little starstruck by that; I'm a big fan of his "spoken word" CDs.

Satisfyingly sore after yesterday's workout. I love that feeling.

Got quite an eclectic mix going: some Marvin Gaye, David Bowie, Judith Owen, Black Flag, The Birthday Party, Dinosaur Jr., some Paraguayan harp music, even a little Pete Seeger. I'm about to lock myself in my apartment for the next three days with that stack of records, Kafka's complete short works, espresso aplenty, a freezer full of vegetables and salmon... and of course many cans of beans. I must go now. My desk awaits. Thanks for reading this.

No comments: