Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Lost Art?

A great conversationalist can make anyone they talk to feel like the most important, interesting person in the world. But how many people can connect that profoundly while watching silly videos, listening to music, and carrying on two other discussions simultaneously?

“Instant” messaging is a prodigious time-sink, thanks in part to the distractions available on every Internet-connected computer. Who wants to be minimized? Who wants to wait seven minutes or more for a two-word reply? My friends are not just one "task" out of many, so I'm uneasy with the entire format.

Many people I love become barbarians online. Shouldn't instant messages observe basic social niceties such as saying "goodbye" instead of just vanishing? I've failed to observe etiquette a few times too, of course, but I've always apologized and tried to atone for the slip.

One-on-one online conversation seems so consistently rough around the edges that nobody is to blame for my exasperation. I am not pointing fingers at people, but at communication problems.

I just started reading The Letters of E.B. White, and I have an idea.

Do like your great-grandma did and write me a letter! You don't have to stamp an envelope or anything, just type it into an e-mail. I check my inbox daily.

If you don't like writing, come visit me instead. I'll feed you and sing you a song, maybe even for free. Overnights are alright, too, so bring your friends. My place sleeps up to a dozen. Comfortably.

And be sure I have your e-mail address. I sometimes handwrite letters, then scan them for e-mailing. There aren't many physical addresses in my, um, address book.

Check your mailbox! I'll see you soon.

Yours, as always,
Nicholas

No comments: